I forgot to post my brisket chili recipe last week, since getting wrapped up in chasing down issues with my web hosting (AWS and GCP). I’m not even sure I remember the ingredients any more, but technically you can follow my original Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chili recipe and get about the same results. After all the prep work, the slow cooker does all the cooking for you.
So I’m just going off memory but here are the ingredients:
- 4lbs smoked flat of brisket
- 10oz, Onions, raw
- 56g, Garlic, raw
- 5-6oz, Peppers, jalapeno, raw, some seeded, some pan roasted
- 6oz can (10 tbsp ea.), Tomato Paste
- 2 or 3 14.5oz can (1 4/5 cups ea.), Fire Roasted Diced Tomato
- 6 fluid ounce, Water – Municipal or beef browth
- 1 tbsp, Spices, chili powder
- 1 tbsp, Spices, onion powder
- 1 tbsp, Spices, garlic powder
- 2 tbsp, Spices, paprika
- 1 tbsp, Spices, cinnamon, ground
- .50 tbsp, Dark cocoa powder unsweetened
- .50 tbsp, Spices, pepper, black
- 1 tsp, Spices, pepper, red or cayenne
- 4oz Trader Joe’s Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce
- dash of ghost pepper spices
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
After chopping garlic and onions, I sweated them briefly in a pan with some EVOO. I tossed those into a 5-6qt slow cooker, along with fresh chopped jalapeno chunks. I reserved 2 of the jalapenos and pan roasted them until their skins blistered, before chopping those up and including them in the mix.
As you may recall the flat of brisket was part of a whole packer we previously smoked. Since it tends to be lean and tougher than the point, the flat end of the brisket is a pretty good candidate for slow cooking. I sliced it up in 1″ chunks and tossed it into the crockpot.
At this point I threw in the rest of the ingredients, though I’m having trouble recollecting if I added 2 or 3 cans of diced tomatoes. If you have a bigger slow cooker and don’t mind a more “wet” chili, go ahead and included the 3rd can. But I prefer mine more meaty and chunky, with less sauce in my chili.
Be careful with the ghost pepper seasoning; it can heat up a chili quite fast!